Owning a rental holiday property is the dream of many families. A lot of consideration should go into the cost of maintaining the property, inside and out, because this can run into thousands of rands due to careless tenants and, ultimately, even shatter your dream venture.
The Eastern Cape is a tourism haven and with flooring being a prime consideration in leisure areas and holiday homes, the experts at Top Carpets & Floors can remove all the anxiety that can come with installing flooring with expert advice on what flooring is best for high-traffic, leisure environments.
Here are two of the most popular leisure flooring options:
- Great on the wallet.
- Mimics real wood virtually flawlessly. This is truly one of the biggest benefits of laminate flooring, along with the choice available. So, a great eco-friendly choice that has no impact on exotic or endangered wood species. Now, that’s a smart choice!
- Stain- and impact-resistant, and doesn’t fade in sunlight.
- Installation is easy, regardless of the sub-floor, because laminate flooring doesn’t have to be glued or nailed.
- Cleaning is a breeze, no matter what the traffic volume on the floor is. No waxing or polishing, just a dust and wipe-over with a damp cloth or mop. Laminate floors don’t contract and expand like hardwood floors do and if moisture damages it, the flooring is easily replaced.
Luxury Vinyl Planks
- Resembles real wood and stone effortlessly. If you’re still seeing ‘70s patterns and torn bits hidden under the kitchen table leg when you think of vinyl, think again. Vinyl has grown up, hence it now being called “luxury” vinyl to describe a vinyl tile or plank floor as one that mimics the look of wood or stone, including slate, marble, and travertine. The technological advancements are astounding and your guests will be hard-pressed to tell the difference!
- Suitable for any room. In its previous life, vinyl was predominantly used in high-moisture and busy areas, like kitchens and bathrooms, because it handles dirt so well. Today, it is suitable for use anywhere and renowned for its resilience and durability (easily up to a 20-year lifespan in a residential space).
- Easier under-foot. Luxury vinyl plank floors are softer than wood or tile floors so it’s more comfortable to stand on for longer periods, which is a bonus for avid bakers or cooks in areas like the kitchen.
- Maintenance is a breeze (damp cloth or mop) and the planks can be individually replaced if necessary, as opposed to the entire floor.
Flooring must be able to take a knock in a property where you are not around to see what’s going on all the time. It is to be expected people take holidays to relax and have a great time. If you’ve done your flooring homework, there should be no cause for concern about how your choice of floors is holding up against the wave of holiday traffic. With one less thing to worry about – for years to come – you’ll love your floors as much as your guests will love telling their friends about your stylish and beautiful holiday home.
You can find more information and expert advice on flooring at Top Carpets & Floors branches in the Eastern Cape.